Login  * FAQ
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Connectivity (and more?) problems
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:47 pm 
Racing For Position
Racing For Position

hi guys

as you know I have problems with internet connectivity since I had a crash where my hard drive was working heavy (Possibly data dumping got interrupted??).

Avast antivirus used to result in UI crash after each PC rebooting ended (I uninstalled Avast for testing in the meantime. Did not help ofc). That was the first visual indication that something is wrong - aside from no internet connection ofc.

In the meantime I tweaked (and apparently fixed (?)) any potential issues on the adapter settings side.
I called the ISP and they confirmed that I was online (Telephony over the router works. My mobile phone has internet access via router's wi-fi)
Windows (Win8) tells me that I am connected (displays router. it looks now like it's always been)

Now here may be a CLUE for one of you:
- I have internet access only through Firefox (note I have some sort of special version but it's officially up-to-date)
I have NO internet access through any other browser.
- Programs that seem to try to connect straight to the internet either find no connection or tend to hang up as they apparently try to look for updates.
(Java update tells me I am "offline from the network", for instance --> I would think my homegroup settings are fine but no guarantees)
- CLUE: In NR2003 I go to multiplayer and it does not show me any IP to pick from.
- MIGHTY CLUE: again I can only access the router (the IP address where I reach the router's settings) via Firefox (luckily) not through other browsers, which is strange, as at least I should always be able to reach my router.
--> is there a service responsible for this, which may have deactivated/corrupted after the crash? but then why does it work with Firefox?

metaphorically speaking, I think the problem is, that I have a "straight" line to the router/internet but my computer can't "talk" or "translate" via my router (but i thought I had checked on any DNS issues but maybe I try and tweak again..)

Further info:
- Thanks to that I can reach the router through Firefox I can exclude that I can't physically reach the router (i.e. broken LAN-cable, not well plugged in, etc.)
- no issues in the device manager
- After hand-tweaking of adapter settings it's now all back to automatic obtaining (and all seems well)
Problem detection doesn't find anything ofc (note: I have a "VirtalBox Host-Only Network" Adapter, which I deactivated as it's not needed, there diagnostics complains about "default gateway is not available" but I think that adapter is really only relevant under VirtualBox conditions, so let's not get distracted..)

thanks a bunch for any help :| :wc1:
I bet it's something extremely simple and then it would all work... lol....
Fabian

#87 - Fabian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Connectivity (and more?) problems
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:40 pm 
500 Champion!
500 Champion!

Hi Fabi,

in no particular order, here are the things I'd be looking at, some of which I'm clueless about :lol: :

#96 BLUE Wilderness Ford Fusion

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

I think I'd bump malware/virus scan to the top of the list as "heavy hard drive use followed by slow/restricted/problematic access" is classic symptoms of malware or a virus being on board somewhere.

In NR you can specify the IP to connect via, I think it is in the core or player.ini file, if you've set your IP manually, you can specify it in there, saves windows having to find it.

If all else fails and you have backups, wipe and reinstall everything.

#8 - Ian Smythe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:25 pm 
Marshall
Marshall

Guys, there are some tracks for online league (http://www.splinedesignstudios.com/SDS_ ... nloads.htm)

I asked the author of this site and he tell me, that these tracks are for online leagues.

#48 - Jakub Smetana

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:52 am 
Site Admin

What does that have to do with Fabian's connection problems?b :roll:

#8 - Ian Smythe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:22 pm 
Racing For Position
Racing For Position

hi guys
first of all, thanks for your replies.

a bit of an update:
I think now, that my windows sockets got messed up.
Actually I have a feeling that this
http://www.sanspantalones.com/2015/05/02/windows-socket-initialize-failed-errors-with-http-and-winsock/
would be the solution, but it's related to Win7 and I want to do some research beforehand (--> registry entries in the linked zip file also workable for Win8.0 ??).
I will dare to do it tomorrow evening as after that I "can spare" the last bit of internet access as I'm off for vacation in a couple of days (@Ian, 1x prov :D ... I hope it will not be 2x or 3x due to the issue.... lol)

maybe somebody knows a fine little Program that's good at windows sockets? (actually I tried 2 rather generic programs which didn't solve it obviously)
so prolly on my return gonna have to bite the bullet and working towards recovery/salvaging/reinstalling..... *puke*

so... to be continued & thanks a bunch!

PS:
I tried these yesterday:
(in cmd with Admin)
reset winsocks
"netsh winsock reset"

successful but "no" change

then:
reset TCP/IP stack
"netsh int ip reset reset.log hit"

failed! -->
"Resetting Interface, OK!
Resetting Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Path, OK!
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.

Restart the computer to complete this action."

just a comma as a name? that can't be good. lol....

#87 - Fabian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:42 am 
Racing For Position
Racing For Position

short follow-up, in case someone should have the same problem:

looks like ipsec.sys and tcpip.sys vanished.
(Speculation: Either through a real attack or the antivirus somehow had the feeling that it had to quarantine them ??? )

the solution though ( http://jdsportsonline.com/computer/issu ... issue.html ) didn't work for me somehow (maybe it was me... no idea...)

Thanks to a roll-back now everything is okay again (runs surprisingly error-free, even the antivirus plays along..... but a fresh install of the OS in the near future would probably be a good thing anyway....)

(also to be put into consideration: http://www.sanspantalones.com/2015/05/0 ... d-winsock/ )

Good luck!

#87 - Fabian

Profile E-mail  

[ 7 posts ]