Login  * FAQ
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: HDD's in RAID 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:44 pm 
1000+ posts! I'm a V8T nutter!

Anyone know anything about this?

This new PC of mine has 2 hard drives (both 500GB) setup in RAID 0, so that data is shared between the two. In My Computer this is only listed as 1 drive but what im not sure of is that it is listed with a capacity of 500GB, not 1TB. Should this be the case?

I have assumed so far that it will display it as 500GB but because data is being 'split' between the two HDDs each file i put on the drive will take up half of its size. So a 500MB file will actually take up 250MB per disk, and only show as such in My Computer (i.e. a 250MB drop in available space on the drive!). Is this the way it should function? The only reason i ask is because i THINK when i installed Train Sim the other day it claimed that it needed 1711MB but when i checked the available space on the drive after it had installed it had gone down by 1711MB, not 855.5MB as i expected.

EDIT: By way of a test, i transferred a 3.6GB file from my external HD to the C drive, and the read out of available space left dropped by 3.6GB. Is there something off going on here? (they are definitely hard drives (according to the part number in device manager) and there are definitely 2 of them installed)). I wonder if the numptys have set them up in RAID 1, instead of 0!!

Steve

#28 Steve Pearce

R.I.P Colin McRae, you were a Legend!

Colin Mcrae: 1968 - 2007

Everyone who ate an apple in 1869, is now dead!

Post subject: Re: HDD's in RAID 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like you are right and it's raid 1. At least you have some protection if one drive fails.
Raid 0 only any good if you have backups, you do have backups don't you? :D

But clearly the problem is installing a TRAIN SIM !! :arcade:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 pm 

I only installed it to have a look at the gfx on the new pc. They wernt any better than the old pc, just that the game was smoother. So il delete that then!

As for the above question, some news. It appears that one of the drives in unallocated in Disk Management. Which leads me to a new question.

Does that mean that it is in RAID 0 (or 1), but it shows unallocated because thats what it does, or would it tell me that it was mirrored or something if it was?

And then, if i want it in RAID 0 (backups of important stuff (setups etc) can go on my external HD), do i have to start with it from scratch? Or in other words, if i want to put it into RAID 0 now, does windows move all of the data around until its shared between the two drives?

And one final question. Is the whole HD in RAID 0, or only individual partitions within those HD's? Could i have, say, a mirror of the operating system (the first 30GB of each HD) then everything else in RAID 0, or vice versa.......

I do wonder about this computer shop. All very nice, friendly and helpful, but them managed to only order half of the memory (i only noticed when i looked inside the box a few days after i got it and could only say 4GB of RAM) and now managed to forget to allocate one of my hard drives, not to mention fitting a CPU fan that was broke. To be fair though, they havnt charged me a penny extra for anything, even though to fit the extra ram they had to spend a couple of hours moving the heatsink etc!

#28 Steve Pearce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:23 am 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

SRD Lightnings
Trophy Series: Sparco Chevy SS

- Autumn 2008 Trophy: runner up
- Mini-Series Winter 2010 Champion
- DAYTONA KING !!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:14 pm 

I tried that, but it doesnt appear to offer the answer im after (more theory, less instruction!)

#28 Steve Pearce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:04 pm 
Marshall
Marshall

Raid 0 is more for gaming performance as Raid 1 more for back up wise.I plan on geting my new computer as I am seting my computer up on a Raid 0.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Award for bumping an 20 month old thread goes to..... you got 3 guesses :rofl:

#8 - Ian Smythe.

[ 7 posts ]