Login  * FAQ
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wireless Networks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 pm 
1000+ posts! I'm a V8T nutter!

Right, another dilemma

I was trying to download the Bathurst 1000 (shh!) last night but when i turned the monitor back on this morning found that the wireless had lost its connection, even though according to my phone the wireless signal was still available.

If i disabled it and then enabled it again it got it back pretty much straight away.

It seems though that it does this every 2 or 3 hours, sometimes more sometimes less, perhaps it depends on the amount of data, i dont know.

Does anyone know of a way to stop it doing this, maybe even a way to automatically disable and then re-enable wireless as and when it loses connection, as it seems to be able to get it back pretty much straight away. Its almost as if it doesnt know what to do if the wireless signal is lost from the hub all of a sudden (which may well be what is causing it to disconnect in the first place!?)

#28 Steve Pearce

R.I.P Colin McRae, you were a Legend!

Colin Mcrae: 1968 - 2007

Everyone who ate an apple in 1869, is now dead!

Post subject: Re: Wireless Networks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:42 pm 

I know this is not going to help you right now at this moment, but ...

One hint which can never be stressed enough ...

NEVER rely on wireless connections for important and long lasting data transfers like online gaming, video streaming, torrent downloads etc .... too much outside factors can influence the signal and cause a quality drop and even a loss at totally random times ...

Plain old UTP cable still rocks the world. If cabling is not an option due to drilling restrictions etc, a good alternative nowadays are powerlines. I have been able to set up a solid powerline network in my house without too much hassle. Router, Cable Modem, PS3, PC and telly in the bedroom all inter-contected through powerlines, and works like a charm.

You can get a kit of two decent powerline adapters for about 50 to 75€ I think.

I only use my wireless connection to check my mails or surf around in while sitting in my sofa.

SRD Lightnings
Trophy Series: Sparco Chevy SS

- Autumn 2008 Trophy: runner up
- Mini-Series Winter 2010 Champion
- DAYTONA KING !!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:06 pm 

Your right, it isnt much use :P

Actually we have a powerline network, which incidently is on the blink for some unknown reason (we think due to interference). At some point il get round to getting our 25m RJ45 out and plugging it in to see if that holds up on the wired front.

So whilst that isnt working wireless is the key. The phone socket the hub is plugged into is the opposite side of the house which makes putting in a cable in awkward.

The issue is not so much about wireless. I know full well that the signal can and will go up or down whenever it fancies, but thats not the problem. The problem is more that once the connection is lost the pc does not seem to want to do anything about it, presumably they dont get on well or something. Maybe theres an auto-reconnect option somewhere that isnt checked, though everything i can find thus far would suggest that if it could reconnect it would. Maybe its something on the router, i dont know!

For the record, we have BT's Black broadband hub (previously it was the white one!) and this pc has an ASUS WLAN card, though im using windows to manage the connections, not the ASUS software (and i dont think that is the route cause, as ive used this setup previously with no problems!)

#28 Steve Pearce

R.I.P Colin McRae, you were a Legend!

Colin Mcrae: 1968 - 2007

Everyone who ate an apple in 1869, is now dead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:57 am 
Fastest Lap!
Fastest Lap!

well. you made the right choice downloading bathurst..
lol, much help i know!

#45 SRDAJI LegoRacing Chevy - Lites & Trucks

[ 4 posts ]