Login  * FAQ
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: PC woes!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:46 pm 
1000+ posts! I'm a V8T nutter!

Quote:
So any more suggestions about what it could be. The pc has had a hoover, including under the fans. Theres nothing on here that should cause any problems, only 2 games and a handful of nice simple programs, no viruses or anything! I also had the side off the pc tonight (and touchwood it hasnt froze like the last few nights/races) and it doesnt feel warm around the compenents inside the case. The processor is hot to the touch but i expect this is normal (?)

Right, photo time!

Is that (circled) the processor or a heatsink? And is it meant to be hot? The fans all appear to be working! That fan is the only fan on the gpu (its old!) and its certainly spinning. Anyhow, it was replaced about 3 years ago i think for a quieter model!

Re: Indexing the drive (as whoever was signed in as Lites Series Director said), is this the same as Indexing Service in services.msc? Anyhow in services.msc thats set to Manual and is not started!

#28 Steve Pearce

R.I.P Colin McRae, you were a Legend!

Colin Mcrae: 1968 - 2007

Everyone who ate an apple in 1869, is now dead!

Post subject: Re: PC woes!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

LessThanSte wrote:
Is that (circled) the processor or a heatsink? And is it meant to be hot? The fans all appear to be working! That fan is the only fan on the gpu (its old!) and its certainly spinning. Anyhow, it was replaced about 3 years ago i think for a quieter model!

That looks like the North or Southbridge heatsink, it will be fairly hot yeah.
That big black round fan above it is the CPU Heatsink and fan.

LessThanSte wrote:
Re: Indexing the drive (as whoever was signed in as Lites Series Director said), is this the same as Indexing Service in services.msc? Anyhow in services.msc thats set to Manual and is not started!

That would be me and err, no.
Right click on each hard drive in My Computer, select Properties, and at the bottom of the page untick the tickbox labelled "Index this drive for faster searching".

Although in my experience this would only drop fps by 10-15, not drop it to 1 or 2fps, that sounds to me like a graphics card issue.

Are you using onboard graphics? (i.e. is your monitor cable plugged into a socket that is ultimately on the motherboard (probably below that purple socket in the photo on the left), or does it plug into a graphics card that is plugged into a PCI socket?

#8 - Ian Smythe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:45 pm 

I was under the impression that thats what 'Indexing Service' is, according to the site referenced in John's Batch File Guide.

Re: the monitor, i think its plugged into the card, though il check later on when ive recovered enough energy post bikeride to stagger up the stairs.

#28 Steve Pearce

R.I.P Colin McRae, you were a Legend!

Colin Mcrae: 1968 - 2007

Everyone who ate an apple in 1869, is now dead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

the Indexing services may be the same, I dunno, that's just the way I disabled it when it caused me hassle.
But by going on what you were saying at Tally, that's not your problem, there's no way that single service would cause such a major performance hit.

[ 4 posts ]