Login  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: EXTREMELY HIGH PINGS????
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:35 pm 
Racing For Position
Racing For Position

Hey guys,

I noticed when i jumped onto the server last night to do some truck practice at ESW that my pings were sky high. Fluctuating anywhere from 350 to 550 which is puzzling cos they were at a steady 111 on saturday!

I also noticed tho that my IP has changed and plusnet (my ISP) may have upgraded us to 100meg broadband, however my laptop is still running at 54mbps????
My PC indicates everything is running as normal but when i get to the server it is a little slower to connect and the pings are just sky high.

Ive tried disconnecting and reconnecting the router several times which has not made the slightest bit of difference :?

do any of you 'PC guru's' have any possible sollutions for this?

Cheers,

Chris

#14 Cheetos Chevrolet Camaro (Trophy)
SRD International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:42 pm 
1000+ posts! I'm a V8T nutter!
1000+ posts! I'm a V8T nutter!

Those speeds are your network connection speeds. 100Mbps is what you'll get through an RJ45 cable, and wireless can fluctuate anywhere from 1-100 really!

Is it like this on all servers, or just a V8 Thunder thing?

Try doinga speed test at www.adslguide.org

#28 Steve Pearce

R.I.P Colin McRae, you were a Legend!

Colin Mcrae: 1968 - 2007

Everyone who ate an apple in 1869, is now dead!

Post subject: Re: EXTREMELY HIGH PINGS????
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:30 am 
Racing For Position
Racing For Position

cjhill wrote:
plusnet (my ISP) may have upgraded us to 100meg broadband

:shock:

#5 Rammstein Chevy

Post subject: Re: EXTREMELY HIGH PINGS????
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:32 pm 
Racing For Position
Racing For Position

JDPower wrote:
cjhill wrote:
plusnet (my ISP) may have upgraded us to 100meg broadband

:shock:

Well, i dont know lol, says something along the lines of "100mbps, connected" thinks its 8 meg tho. Weirdest thing is the IP change.

found this on the plusnet help page.

which kinda explains it i think.

Should I expect teething problems when I first get 8Mb?
In the first 10 days following your upgrade, you will see your speeds vary, and commonly may experience disconnections and some instability of your connection. This is perfectly normal and if possible you should be prepared for it.

#14 Cheetos Chevrolet Camaro (Trophy)
SRD International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:04 pm 
Pole Sitter
Pole Sitter

The 100Mbps is the LAN speed as Steve say, ignore it. 54Mbps is your wireless link speed. That is also just a signalling rate, not an actual throughput speed, so a 54Mbps will probably transmit data at about 18Mbps (if you're lucky).

You are on an 8MB ADSLMax service. I signed up to the Pipex Max service last month and spent 3 days with no connection. JR and Jon could probably both give you horror stories about it. Many people are left with a connection slower than the one they used to have and it can be a real problem getting it all sorted out, often resulting in BT Wholesale getting involved.

The idea is that it tries to run at 8MB, when it fails, it keeps trying until at some random point over the next day or so, drops the sync speed to 7MB and continues until a stable(ish) connection is established. Often, this is all sorted within a couple of days and away you go, it took mine 4 days to level off and now I'm happily getting about 7MB from it and my pings are normal.

Your pings are high probably because you have a low SNR (below 6/7dB most likely). This means that your connection is resending, resending, resending the same data which is getting corrupted along the way down your line. Eventually, this ought to sort itself out, certainly make sure you turn off your router every night for ten minutes, this can make sure that you resync correctly.

Also, beware of interleaving. If this is enabled (you will have to check with your ISP) then you pings will also go higher. This will be because the data you send will be spread out more to avoid corruption, but can add about 40ms latency. Interleaving is normally enabled later on if you continue to have connection problems.

Also remember, ADSL Max is much more variable for the time of day. First thing in a morning it'll be really fast, but in the evening if a lot of people are using the same DSLAM it can slow down quite a bit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

If you have just made the switch to 8Mbps ADSL it could take a couple of weeks to get it sorted.

As Ryan said, my switch was a bit of a nightmare and I had to spend quite a while on the phone to get BT escallate it as a fault.

They did eventually sort it but it was really annoying for a while.

#98 Jonathan 'JR' Rex

RexRacing.co.uk - virtual race car driver for over 40 years

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:22 pm 
500 Champion!
500 Champion!

JR wrote:
If you have just made the switch to 8Mbps ADSL it could take a couple of weeks to get it sorted.

I had been hoping that I had the same problem, and that it would sort itself out eventually, but my connection problems still exist, so I guess I have a different kind of problem.

[ 7 posts ]