Login  * FAQ
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is there any radio controlled experts in the house?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Specifically a Futaba FF6 (Field Force) 35Mhz radio set?

In the instructions it says it'll work with any Futaba 35Mhz receiver but it doesn't talk to the one I've got, is there any way to test that the transmitter isn't fubar without buying another?

#8 - Ian Smythe.

Post subject: Re: Is there any radio controlled experts in the house?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:18 am 
Pole Sitter
Pole Sitter

not really unless you have a friend with a spare Rx hanging around :) 35mhz is 35mhy at the end of the day. AS long as you have a matching frequency at each end it should work. Flying planes?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Yes and yes, unfortunately I don't know anybody with another tx so I think I'll go the cheap route and replace the receiver first. I've a strong suspicion either the receiver or transmitter is faulty.

My son got a drone last xmas (a small indoor one) and he loved it so xmas just gone we got him an outdoor one, and he's been totally bitten by the flying bug, I used to build them from balsa wood when I was younger (had no such thing as foamboard then) so I want to build a couple Bloody Barrons out of foamboard so we can start fighting in the air as quads are not really conductive to air to air combat :lol:

#8 - Ian Smythe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:30 pm 
Pole Sitter
Pole Sitter

You can pick up a 6 channel 2.4ghz for like 60GBP on HobbyKing. They're as good as the Spektum's and at a fraction of the price :)

I used to race cars for many years but don't have so much time or money now and sim racing is taking up a lot of time now too ahaha. Started flying regularly last year with a mini b-17 and my girlfriend's folks got me a drone for xmas :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Which drone did you get?

I don't like 2.4ghz, I've already experienced brownouts from someone walking in front of me in the field with mine, 35mhz is much more reliable, it can penetrate trees and has much longer control distances (5 miles lol) and I figured as more people migrate to 2.4 it means less stuff clogging up the 35mhz band lol.

It's looking like I may have bought the wrong crystals, back when I was your age it was simple, buy the right crystal plug it in and go, but now there are dual rate and single rates, and I got the wrong one it seems.

#8 - Ian Smythe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:27 am 
Pole Sitter
Pole Sitter

Can't say I've had issues with 2.4! Be land or air :s

I have a Syma x5w or something like that. Just a little one to get overhead footage :) really like the look of the new durafly mk1a spitfire with a 1.1m wingspan, defo on my wish list! But as Chris can tell you I'm trying to finish off my sim racing cockpit

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah be careful with 2.4, it doesn't penetrate solid objects too well, my x5 clone dropped out the sky when I was flying through the wood near us because it lost communication with the remote, and the brownout was caused by the person standing in front of me with their phone out, the phone was scanning for WiFi and drowned out the controller, cutting the link, in clear sky they are fine, I added a bigger antenna to the remote and we could control my sons genuine x5 from about 500 meters away fine in clear air.

I also have it's big brother the x8, but that weighs considerably more (nearly a kilo with and fpv camera and Möbius) so I haven't taken that out a lot until my bmfa membership comes through, you could do some serious damage with it if it hit anybody lol

I said to my son I'd build a couple bloody wonders out of foamboard so we could do air to air combat in the field, don't really want to do that with a quad lol.

#8 - Ian Smythe.

[ 7 posts ]